Career Development Intern (Remote)
►This is an unpaid internship position. Opportunities to earn school credit may exist depending on your school’s policies and requirements. If interested in earning school credit from your internship, please indicate so when applying.
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries worldwide. The IRC also provides support to thousands of refugees resettling in 27 U.S. cities each year through initial housing assistance; case management and referral services; job readiness and placement; community and cultural orientation; health and wellness programs; immigration services; and youth programs.
Scope of volunteer work: The Career Development Program helps newcomers to the US build professional development skills and networks to help them achieve long-term career goals. This program offers professional training and initiatives, covering different professional development skills. These programs help develop responsive digital, professional & career literacy for New Americans. Interns will directly support clients in developing competencies needed for workplace success and will help plan and execute program specific professional trainings for clients. They will also assist staff in providing individualized career planning including helping to edit resumes and cover letter, coordinate and assist with job applications and referrals, and advise on trainings/certifications. They will also work with volunteers, mentors and other partners who will provide support via mentorships & clinics.
Location: Remote, operating in Pacific Standard Time.
Time commitment: 10-25 hours/week during IRC office hours (9am-5pm PST), 3-4 days/week. Regular schedule required. 3-6 month commitment. Position begins August or September 2020, depending on availability.
Essential position functions:
- Recruit participants for career development programs through local partners, schools, and other agencies
- Assist with client resumes development
- Organize and facilitate mock interviews
- Collect client stories to showcase benefits of career development trainings
- Research Career Connect presenters for future workshops
- Assist with data entry – financial training input, class sign-in sheets, case notes relating to career development/employment searches by job seekers
- Other job readiness and placement assistance as needed: public transportation orientation, shopping for job supplies and clothes, job application assistance, food permit application support.
- Develop new employment relationships with employers in nearby areas
- Organize and facilitate professional development workshops
- Interview prospective mentors and participants for Career Connect
- Assist as needed on Digital Literacy Pilot efforts and helping achieve technology competencies
- Must be culturally sensitive, respectful of diverse backgrounds and willing to work with English language learners; previous cross-cultural communication experience a plus
- Familiarity with employment-related functions: writing resumes, filling out online job applications and interviewing for jobs.
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Ability to communicate effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language (ex. French, Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Kinyarwanda, Kiswahili, Pashto, or Urdu) helpful, but not required
- Must be self-motivated and comfortable working with little supervision at times
- Flexibility and a positive attitude a must!
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
How to Apply
- Complete the IRC’s online volunteer and intern application.
- Email a one-page resume and one-page cover letter to VolunteerSEA@rescue.org with “Career Development Internship” in the subject line. In your cover letter, indicate which position(s) you are applying for. If applying for multiple positions, please indicate your order of preference. Incomplete applications (e.g. missing online application, resume or cover letter) will not be considered.
Reports to: Career Development Specialist
Updated: July, 2020