AmeriCorps - WSC Education
Washington Service Corps has multiple AmeriCorps positions throughout Washington State.
Most positions are full time 6, 9 or 10.5 month service terms with a living allowance (stipend), health insurance, student loan forbearance, and childcare assistance (if eligible).
Upon successful completion of the service term, members become eligible for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. The education award (currently up to $6,195) can be used to pay off student loans, pay tuition, and other college expenses.
Members in our Education focus area primarily serve low-income, disadvantaged youth in culturally-diverse communities. They tutor and support those who are academically falling behind their peers (which includes our Washington Reading Corps program), and/or disengaged from school; they engage high school students in preparing for college and STEM careers; and they provide alternative education methods such as learning through the arts.
Examples of service activities include:
- Providing in-person or virtual academic support or tutoring in one-on-one and small group settings.
- Assisting with daily after-school program logistics.
- Coordinating and executing student outreach activities.
- Helping at-risk students to re-engage or stay engaged with school and follow a path to career or higher education.
- Developing and facilitating family engagement activities and events.