Web Producer/Copy Editor, The New Yorker
The New Yorker is seeking an experienced copy editor and Web producer to join its digital operation. The hired applicant will regularly work some evening or weekend shifts. Ideal candidates have a demonstrated enthusiasm for copy editing and an interest in making copy editing a focus of their career. The position may begin remotely if necessary because of the current coronavirus crisis but will permanently transition to on-site work in our Manhattan office.
This role is primarily to copy-edit posts on a wide variety of topics for newyorker.com and may include occasional work on magazine pieces. The selected applicant will write digital headlines and other display copy, assemble the necessary components to prepare each article for publication, update the site’s home page and section pages, and occasionally be involved in newsletter production and social-media promotion. A good candidate is a thorough reader who can quickly catch and fix mistakes of spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. We are looking for someone who has a finely tuned ear for language and is able to gracefully recast sentences for clarity and concision when necessary.
Applicants should have a strong sense of The New Yorker’s tone and sensibility, and an interest in mastering the many elements of the magazine’s house style. Candidates should be comfortable learning new editorial systems.
The role is a full-time position at our offices in New York, and sometimes requires working late nights, early mornings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the demands of the news cycle.
- two years’ experience as a copy editor
- a flair for writing display copy that engages the reader and adheres to The New Yorker’s voice and outlook
- experience and comfort with digital publishing and an ability to work both quickly and accurately
- a strong interest in current affairs and culture
- the ability to meet deadlines while handling multiple tasks simultaneously
- the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- the ability to communicate and coördinate with editors, writers, fact checkers, and others, balancing needs and priorities while upholding copy standards
- experience working with a content management system (such as Wordpress) for publishing web content
- experience working with Google Docs (track changes, commenting, permissions)
- familiarity with the history, style, and values of The New Yorker
Note: If you do not check all of the following boxes but are enthusiastic about the position, please apply anyway; we are interested in candidates with any combination of skills in these areas. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.