Goldman Sachs Careers | Trading/Quantitative Modeling | New York
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Please note division and function examples are representative of opportunities common for this skill-set. The list is not exhaustive, and availability of open roles is determined based on business need. Specific roles will be confirmed through the interview process.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
From developing automated trading algorithms for the firm and its clients to creating quantitative models and analytical tools to construct and manage client portfolios, colleagues are challenged to use cutting edge technological and quantitative techniques to solve complex business and client problems, to make markets, and manage risk. They are also responsible for reviewing and validating models to ensure accuracy.
Traders, strategists and quantitative teams embody meaningful analytical and problem solving skills, and a drive to use data science and statistics to produce data-driven, actionable insights to support our clients.
Divisions and Job Functions
Investment Banking Division works on some of the most complex financial challenges and transactions in the market today. Whether advising on a merger, providing financial solutions for an acquisition, or structuring an initial public offering, we handle projects that help clients at major milestones. We work with corporations, pension funds, financial sponsors, and governments and are team of strong analytical thinkers, who have a passion for producing out-of-the-box ideas.
- Financing Group Coverage Banking sits within a dynamic, market-driven environment, our teams work closely with corporate clients, pension funds, financial sponsors and governments to structure and execute some of the largest and most complex financing and risk management solutions across the full product spectrum, including equity, debt and derivatives. To achieve this goal, the Financing Group comprises all Goldman Sachs’ capital markets departments, and operates on close cooperation with other areas of Investment Banking and other divisions within the firm, including Fixed Income, Currency and Commodities and Equities.
Quantitative Investment Strategies (QIS) within Goldman Sachs Asset Management (GSAM) is responsible for managing client assets, and is a market leader in quantitative portfolio management. We use advanced quantitative methods to structure, manage, and monitor investment portfolios including hedge funds, mutual funds, and separately managed account. QIS offers multi-asset strategies, as well as equity strategies, including both actively managed portfolios and portfolios that closely track an index. Clients include public, corporate and charitable institutions, high net-worth individuals, retail investors, and various portfolio management groups within the division. Members of QIS work closely together in teams of junior and senior professionals, providing a unique environment for outstanding candidates to learn and apply advanced financial and econometric methods to all aspects of the investment process.
Securities Division enables our clients to buy and sell financial products, raise funding and manage risk. We make markets and facilitate client transactions in fixed income, equity, currency and commodity products. In addition, we make markets in and clear client transactions on major stock, options and futures exchanges worldwide. Through our global sales force, we maintain relationships with our clients, receiving orders and distributing investment research, trading ideas, market information and analysis.
- Equities teams transact in stocks and other equity-related products, including convertible securities, options, and futures. Their work includes financing, securities lending, and other services for institutional investors.
- Fixed Income, Currency, and Commodities teams transact in a variety of assets, including interest rate products (such as government bonds, treasury bills, and other highly liquid instruments), credit products, mortgages, currencies, and commodities
Corporate Treasury is tasked with finding the best ways for Goldman Sachs to deploy its financial resources within the parameters of regulatory guidelines as well as the firm’s own risk appetite. The Treasury function plays a key role in the management of the firm’s liquidity, funding, capital, and allocation of financial resources to align with the firm’s overall strategy and to ensure the firm is resilient in its ability to carry out its activities. Treasury teams are strategically focused, have a collaborative nature and possess strong problem solving skills.
- Treasury Execution Services focuses on asset liability management execution including liability issuance and hedging, interest rate and currency hedging, as well as capital execution. The team manages the firm’s excess liquidity portfolio including cash and collateral management.
Private Wealth Management (PWM) secures, develops and manages relationships with high net worth individuals, their families, family offices and foundations. We have specialized teams as detailed below, who partner with advisors to create solutions for clients.
- Investment Strategy Group is an independent team of global investment professionals that provides guidance on asset allocation and portfolio diversification. ISG delivers objective, strategic and tactical investment advice, including helping clients determine their optimal strategic asset allocation, generating tactical investments ideas and strategies to implement these views.
- Market Solutions Group offers customized advisory, structuring, and execution services across asset classes to high net worth individuals, family offices and select institutions. With investment specialists actively engaged in public and private markets globally, MSG provides strategic and tactical advice spanning global capital markets including equities, fixed income, currencies, commodities, and interest rates. MSG offers separately managed accounts including equity derivatives and structured investment strategies for client portfolios. MSG also provides capital markets experience and access to unique investment opportunities to clients
- Bachelor’s degree (2017 – December 2019)
- 0-3 years of prior work experience in a relevant field.
- Proficient to advanced skills with MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Team player with positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Commercially savvy with ability to exercise discretion with respect to highly confidential/sensitive information